The Making of a Logo, Part II
This is the second installment of a two-part series about designing Birdsong Farm's logo, so if you are curious about how the story started, you can read the first post here.
I received another email from Holly at the end of August with a new logo proof. She had taken out the second silo, added a calf beside the cow, and given me a few bird styles to choose from:
I really loved logo #1, and thought that the black bird in the loop of the 'g' on 'Birdsong' was eye catching. I wasn't happy with the calf, so asked Holly if she could switch it back to one cow, but leave the cow where she was standing and add an extra furrow to the field to fill the white space instead. My mum thought that the logo might look better if the bird's feet were touching the loop of the 'g' as well.
It was about two weeks later when I received two emails from Holly. The first one featured a cow with two furrows added where the calf was:
The second email featured a cow with one furrow added:
My family and I really liked the second logo, and we were so happy with it that it became Birdsong Farm's new logo.
After agreeing to the finished logo design, I received a final email from Pure Graphics about a week later saying that my files were ready for me. The disk had several versions of my lovely new logo on it: the full colour black and purple version, plus an all black and all purple version, as well as white and purple, all purple, and all white logos on a black background.
All six versions came in both .jpg and .pdf files (as well as the original .ai files), and I was given a sheet that showed all of the colour variations as well as the details of the purple colour we chose on the Pantone and CMYK colour scales and the names of the two font styles in the logo:
It took about three months to design the logo from start to finish. Originally I had hoped to finish it in time for the 2013 Armstrong IPE at the end of August, but after we started the design process I decided that I wanted to take my time and get a logo that I would be happy with forever.
After my new logo was finished, I had an address stamp made. Now I guess the next projects on my list will be designing business cards, farm brochures...and fancy new signs for the 2014 Armstrong IPE.
The Making of a Logo, Part 1
Ever since Birdsong Farm was founded on July 15, 2008, I've wanted to design a logo for the farm. Five years later--in 2013--I finally did it!
I'm friends with a few graphic designers, but Pure Graphics in Enderby was my first choice because it is local, plus I've often admired Rebecca Shuert's work in the past. I am so happy that she agreed to work with me, and she and Holly Kormany did an excellent job!
My logo started out with a list. That's right! I've admired many lovely logos since I started my farm and knew what I did and did not like in a logo, but I still didn't really know what I wanted my logo to look like. Becky encouraged me to stop by her studio to talk about what I wanted, and so I finally took my list and paid her a visit.
Becky and Holly worked their magic from here, and about a month later I received an email from Holly with a few ideas for me to think about:
I surprised myself with the first logo proof because I really liked the woodcut style of logos #1 and #2, as well as the bird on logo #6—with a few changes of course. :) I wanted a gambrel style barn (my dream barn) with a silo, but didn't care for the fonts or colours, so when I visited Pure Graphics again Becky and I chose another shade of green and two new shades of purple. The one shade of purple was my choice, and the other one was Becky's; the purple that is featured on my logo today is the colour that Becky chose.
I received a second email from Holly about a month later, and this time she focused on various layouts, colour schemes, font styles, and bird designs:
My first choice was logo #3 as I really liked the offset oval style, but logo #1 was a close second. The 'Birdsong' on logo #1 features one of my font recommendations, but in the end I found that I liked the font on logo #3 better; that is the font featured on my logo today.
We decided to reverse the purple and green colours on logo #3, and I thought that the goat looked like a sheep, so I asked if we could try the logo with a single cow instead.
About two weeks later I received a third email from Holly, and this time she had played around with colour variations: all green, all purple, purple with a green bird, and green with a purple bird...and a logo with one cow and no goat:
I liked the all purple logos, #1 and #5, the best. My mum thought that maybe a bird outline would be nicer than a coloured bird, and we didn't really like the solitary cow so I asked if Holly could add a second animal back in, but make it a calf instead of a goat. I wanted to delete one of the silos as well, and left it in her capable hands.
This is the first installment of a two-part series about designing Birdsong Farm's logo, so if you are curious about how the story ended, you can read the second post here.